I write about this as I currently battle two separate issues with two very different companies (one small with large financial impact and one large with minor financial impact but sentimental value). Both of these issues could have been avoided entirely with better, more consistent and more effective customer service without spending a dime more than you already are to pay the salaries of those at the front line of your business.
I often extole the virture and necessity of phenomenal customer service but few companies can actually implement good customer service consistently. Let's take a look at some of the more common customer service issues:
- Incorrect or Inconsistent Information: Anytime a customer or client talks to a representative of a company to address an issue, the information should be consistent and accurate. The larger the company, the bigger the challenge in diseminating information, BUT you have the resources, personell and money to make this happen so do it!
The smaller the company the less tolerance a customer will have for lack of information consistency. I work in a small company and I know that it takes a quick email to get the information out. If people don't read it then hold them accountable! - Lack of History: Nothing frustrates a customer more than having to recount a complete history of an issue. When a customer calls to get an update or provide updated information, this data should be logged in some form of device, like a computer or if you must a paper file. Please include that the customer called, who they talked to and where it was left. We are currently living in the year 2009 and it does not take much to keep a record regardless of the size of your company.
- Complicated Contact Mechanisms: If a customer calls into a phone system and asks for say: "Claims" make sure that that is where they are directed. If you don't have a robust phone system and provide a simple email address or phone number, make sure that if you list say "billing@yourcompanyhere.com" that the address is actually connecting to someone with actual billing knowledge or basic accounting terminology. Nothing will send a customers blood to boil quicker than explaining simple accounting and finance terms to a tech support representative who is also responsible for billing!
Regardless of the issue, companies large and small, please take note!
I measure a service provider more highly by how they deal with an issue and much much less than the actual value or quality of the service. I, like the rest of the world, am a fickle friend! Give me one reason (or three) and I will drop you for the next provider willing to treat me with the respect that my hard earned dollar deserves.
1 comment:
You say fickle, but you also say you give them chances, which makes you completely fair! And you're right - it's how people react that shows their true colors.
mp/m
Post a Comment